Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Repetition

I often wonder about repetition in prayer and songs. On the one hand the bible has many many examples of repetition to God (Holy, Holy, Holy always springs to mind first). But on the other hand God only needs to hear any particular thing once (well nonce actually...). Another thing that often springs to mind for me is Paul praying for his affliction to go away three times. I tend to think his affliction was pretty bad, or pretty obstructive, and on three occasions he made a concerted effort to pray for its removal. This seems to me like the latter idea: He wasn't repetitive, but he prayed for it as it was on his heart, no more and no less. But really he doesn't tell us enough about it to make any strong statements.

How do I approach this question? I can think of a lot of relevant passages, OT, Jesus, Epistles... Maybe I should read Don Carson's excellent A Call to Spiritual Reformation again. I don't know...

2 comments:

  1. I told my wife I loved her before we got married 36 years ago. I suppose I have wasted my breath telling her again in the years that followed.
    I thought that Paul stopped praying after God made him realise that he was praying the wrong prayer. I have often heard people say what Christians should and shouldn't pray for. I don't care. If our prayers are wrong but honest, God will let us know. It is all part of our education and ongoing process of sanctification.
    A lot of communication between family and friends is unnecessary. We talk about things and events that we already know. But what we say often is not as important as the fact that we are saying it. We don't care that we are covering old ground, but we do care that we are relating to each other.
    One of the amazing things about God is that he wants to hear from us. He certainly doesn't need to be told stuff. And you would think he would be bored out of his brain by our endless drivel. But because he loves us he wants to hear from us. That suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all those things, thanks for the comment. I'm not sure I was suggesting there is no point telling your wife you love her. In so much as telling her that is your expression of that very love, it has a lot of point.

    But the Bible does have a bit of a dichotomy to draw I think. On the one hand the pharisee who multiplies words is in the wrong, and the writer of Ecclesiastes warns us about using too many words when we approach the house of God, but then again the repetition is there in lots of circumstances.

    I think that perhaps we don't naturally know how to pray. It's a bit abstract and not like any other relationships we have. In fact the disciples even ask for a lesson, so I don't feel too bad about this.

    So then when we think about what to do when we pray, and what to say, I'm not so sure we can just rely on our notions of what other relationships entail. And... How would you know if God told you you were praying for the wrong thing. It's kind of impressive that Paul figured that out.

    If we're not reflecting on the content of our prayers, I'm concerned we might get into a rut of repetition or complacency or something similar, and our prayers could become pretty boring and meaningless to God...

    So I'm not sure I agree with you actually. I think the Bible warns against endless drivel, and simultaneously argues for repetition. I think if I were endlessly repeating myself to family and friends I'd like to be told I was doing it and stop. I can't agree that communication there is pointless and good at the same time. I don't see it.

    Hahah.. yeah. I think I disagree now!

    ReplyDelete