Sunday, June 17, 2012

Church Should Be...?

The following is a post about what I think church should look like.  It's mostly from a comment I made here.

Basically, I think that the model of church we follow is pretty unhelpful and puts focus on the wrong things and neglects things that should be priorities for us.
I presume that there are churches out there that look more like this than the churches that I've experienced, and I'd love to hear about them.

We're too focused on Sunday services.  Sunday services are great, but I don't think that they should be the main goal of the local church.  I think that Sunday services should be a time for the larger body of the local church to meet together and build each other up and to welcome in new members of the fold.  It's a good time to sing together, to read  the Bible, to pray and to model things like confessions and affirming what we believe.  I think it should be seen as a time of fellowship with believers for believers, but it should also be broad enough in its scope to be welcoming to most, if not all believers.  When we focus our time and energy on the Sunday service we focus only on ourselves and neglect the mission to spread the gospel to the nations.  I think that Sunday services should be the ministry of as few as possible so that the ministry of as many people as possible can be focused on spreading the gospel.

I think that every committed Christian should be in a small group and that churches need to be telling serious Christians that if they are committed to serving God in their local church that they should seek to do so through such a group. These groups could be the base for small groups of Christians working together in the community to spread the gospel.  I think small groups should be like a family.  They should live close to each other, for convenience' sake, they should spend time together reading God's Word and praying.  They should share meals together to build friendship.  They should be constantly engaged in working together to tell others about Jesus.

This model sees the small group working together to drive the spread of the gospel and disciple the Christians in the group, and the local Sunday church service, then, exists to build up, support, encourage and unify these groups.

You still need pastors to oversee, teach and protect the flock. But I think we should give more responsibility to lay people who are often just as talented, committed and able to help out.  The main difference is that those committed lay people also have an actual job and so they have less time on their hands.

I think that at the moment church is a Sunday and Wednesday thing for most people.  This is a travesty. How we can possibly read the Bible and think that a level of commitment for about 4 hours a week is appropriate is beyond me. 

My suspicion is that, at the moment, there are very few Christian adults evangelising to non-Christian adults.  This is a tragedy. 

There are more and more people who don't even know the gospel and who haven't really had it explained to them even though they live right next to Christians.  That is, we have an ever increasing number of people in our communities who are unreached and know exactly enough about God to condemn them to Hell.  We have failed them and can't afford to continue to do so.

Church right now isn't working.  I'm basically up for trying anything except what we're doing right now.  What I've written is what I'd like to try, but I bet others have better ideas than me.

5 comments:

  1. The tone of this blog is endlessly negative, perhaps if you were more positive, your church would 'seem' positive to you as well, and you would see 'evidences of grace' and so would others.
    Nothing wrong with critique, but the bride of Christ, no matter how ugly is the bride of Christ nonetheless, and for that reason is praiseworthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I should write more positive posts.

      As for the idea that the church is Christ's bride and is therefore praiseworthy, I may agree with you, but I'm not sure. If you mean that the church is Christ's bride and should be though of positively because of the wonderful grace that God has shown us by saving us individually and then instituting community among us in the world then I agree. If you mean that it's an incredible privilege to have others around who know the love of Christ also and who we can minister to the world with, then I agree. If you mean that we, ugly sinners, are made beautiful as we are clothed in the righteousness of Christ rather than our own unrighteousness then I agree.

      If, however, you mean that we should be satisfied with whatever the church is and however the church behaves then I disagree.
      If you mean that good intentions are a suitable excuse for ineffectiveness then I disagree.
      If you mean that the general model of the local church in Australia is effective and in good working order then I disagree.

      I love my church. It's made up of people who love and serve Jesus wholeheartedly. I'm incredibly encouraged by the oldies who have been faithfully serving Jesus for years. I'm encouraged by the young families who are teaching their kids to love and serve Jesus and I try to use what they do that I see working.
      I have a good pastor at my church who is trying to encourage his congregation to be faithful and to minister to the communities in which we live.

      I'm frustrated, though, with injustice in the world and the fact that Christians don't really seem to mind it. I'm frustrated that the Australian church looks like the world. I'm frustrated that we seek our own pleasure in most things rather than the spread of the gospel.
      I'm frustrated that the Anglican church sees fit to send out a myriad of literature to its parishioners on homosexual marriage, but that there's a woman in Australia who has already been granted asylum, but has subsequently been imprisoned, with her 2 sons, and has no idea what the charges against her are. Our government is able to imprison her and her sons indefinitely without her ever standing trial or even being told what the charge against her is. I haven't heard anything from any church about this.

      I love the work that Beach Missions do, but I'm frustrated that they have to exist. I don't understand how we can live near people and not be telling them about Jesus.

      I'm ashamed that I don't speak to adults about Jesus very often at all. But I recognise my weakness and unfaithfulness and am working, with others, toward rectifying it.

      I reject the idea that life is all sunshine and happiness and that we should always look on the bright side. Optimism is always good, but when change is necessary just looking at what we have, shrugging our shoulders and smiling is grossly inadequate.

      I will, however, endeavour to write more positive posts.

      Delete
  2. Hey Graham,

    A friend of mine lent me the audio book "So you don't want to go to Church anymore?" (the title is more edgy than it sounds). I think you would really like the fictional story and some of the points made in that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up that book and it looks like you can download the whole book for free: http://www.jakecolsen.com/contents.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks Andrew, I'll take a look at that book. I'm reading Total Church and Everyday Church at the moment by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis. They're incredibly helpful and I'm loving them.

      I've also just finished reading 'When Helping Hurts', which was also very helpful and surprisingly pertinent to church and ministry in a local context as well.

      Delete