Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A new ethical concept (for me)

Firstly, once again, I must explain that I have moved house and it's been an ordeal, and so not many posts have come out of the last few weeks (did you know that German apartments don't have kitchens, curtain rails, or light fittings?)

A question occurred to me in the shower: Is it wrong to pursue something in any other way than the reasonable expectation of the actions performed within the end product? (that was a confusing question, I know). I'm not talking about utilitarianism, and I'm not talking about arguments from nature, though it does sound a little like both of these. In my reading on ethics I don't recall coming across this particular concept, but my reading in ethics is very limited.

An example: (as a Christian) the trajectory of dating is marriage. Whether someone will be a good marriage partner (however you want to define that, I don't want to get into it, but I will say that I believe physical attraction counts for something) is obviously the main criterion for 'dateability'.

But is it wrong to foster notions of romance that can not be reasonably expected within marriage? Is the world's view of romance wrong not only because of the extra-marital sex, and the 'follow your heart' at the expense of everything else mentality (etc), but also because some of the world's notions of dating and dateability and romance are unreasonable notions within marriage?

This is an ethical concept no-one has ever raised with me. It's like reverse-utilitarianism. Instead of saying that the ends justify means, I'm asking whether the means must match up with, or complement, the end.

As I say in the title, this is only new to me. I'm sure it was thought about a long time ago by someone much more intelligent. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Interesting question/questions/issues!!! I don't know if it very Christian (or 'Christian culture') to talk about 'the journey' or 'the process' or 'personal growth'. But there is certainly something beneficial in learning from experiences and choices without being solely focused on the "expected goal".

    Not being rigid about things like the dating-marriage trajectory certainly has consequences, I think both positive and negative!

    I don't know!!! I really embrace freedom as opposed to captivity/bondage/stifling. But I also want wise not stupid and selfish in my life.

    To try and answer your question specifically "whether the means must match up with, or complement, the end?" I want to answer NO, but not to the point of foolishness and ungodliness!

    ReplyDelete