Monday, January 23, 2012

Prodigal God

I recently read a book by Tim Keller called Prodigal God.  It's only a short read, and is relatively easy to read.  It's written to be able to make sense to new Christians, and even non-Christians who are keen to try to understand what the gospel is all about, but it's also very relevant to other Christians as well.

In the book Keller contends that the main character of the story of the prodigal son is not the prodigal son at all, but rather the older son.  He highlights that the two sons, both the younger and the older are outside of relationship with the father, but the father reaches out to them both.  The younger son responds with humility and begs for his father's forgiveness, which the father freely gives, and not only forgiveness, but favour.  The older responds with bitterness and anger that what is now his is being spent on the reckless younger son whose sins have been grievous.

Keller proposes that the audience who is listening to Jesus tell the parable is an audience of older brothers, not younger brothers, and that it is the older brother who constitutes the main point as the story ends with him outside of the party, not yet having decied whether or not he will come in.  Jesus wants the Pharisees and teachers of the law who are listening to this to identify with the older brother and to decide whether or no tthey are going to come to the party.  God has come to them, in their time and place, to offer his grace. 

The story of the younger brother is marked by his leaving his life of disobedience and taking back his place in the family, which he did not earn or deserve, and was offered freely by the father.  The story of the older brother is marked by the cliffhanger of his unresolved rebellion from the father due to his perception of what he deserved and, indeed, what his brother deserved.

I found this book pretty challenging because I have a lot of older brother traits that I always need to take care to ensure don't turn me into the older brother sitting out in the cold.  I don't hate the institution of religion, I'm pretty conservative in my ideas, I don't have many flights of fancy.  I'm pretty content staying in the one place plodding along with my family, working hard in my job and my church.  This kind of lifestyle lends itself towards an attitude of entitlement and a feeling of superiority over those who display younger broter traits, who I tend to think are largely irresponsible. 

The simple fact of the matter is, though, that Jesus loves the younger brothers and the older brothers of this world and calls us all to repentance and to change to be more like Him and like He wants us to be.  By God's grace I (hope) I am becoming less like the younger brother and more like Jesus wants me to be. 

Prodigal God is a great book to buy, read and pass on to others.  It's challenging and thought provoking and, as always with Keller, it's pretty spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment