Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Education - Public vs Private

I am a teacher at Nowra Christian school.  It's a real life Christian school.  Last year our HSC results were the best in the Shoalhaven.  In publicising this fact our principal is being very careful to make sure that everyone knows that we aim for high results but that our priority is raising kids to love and serve Jesus.  From a marketing point of view this attitude is a disaster and it's largely why an Anglican College close by has so many more kids than us (they shamelessly flaunt results and minimise their Christianity).

Since my first daughter was born I've been thinking about what I want for her in a school.  I do want her to go to school.  I think that if all you want for your child is great results then home schooling is the way to go, but I want more than that for my daughters.  But what is that?

I often hear from Christians what a shame it is that Christian schools exist.  Some Christians I know are militantly against any independent school and some others think that they are just unnecessary.  Over this summer I met a Christian guy at the beach and when I told him where I worked, his immediate response was 'Oh, I don't agree with Christian schools.' He then went on to say that a public school was fine for him and that his kids all went to public schools and they're fine, so all kids should go to public schools.  This argument is ridiculous.  I hope that he actually had other reasons that he didn't share.

Often a big reason I hear against Christian schools is that by taking Christian kids out of public schools you take away the opportunity for them to evangelise to their non-Christian friends.  This argument has some validity.  The problem with it, though, is that we're imposing on our kids an expectation that they will do something that we don't do ourselves.  My experience of most Christian adults (myself included, I'm ashamed to say) is that really talking about Jesus to their friends is pretty rare.  So our kids have no model.  Although that's not exactly true.  They do have a model, it's one of being ashamed, apprehensive and quiet when it comes to proclaiming Jesus as Lord and calling others to repentance.  So one of my problems with this argument is that we are asking our kids to do something that we ourselves aren't willing to do.

My next problem with this argument is that we're feeding lambs to wolves.  If we are to say that we want our kids in public schools so that they can tell their friends about Jesus, how many of us are going into the school with them to help.  How many of us are in the classroom helping out with reading groups, helping on excursions, teaching scripture ourselves.  The answer is not very many.  Instead what tends to happen, I think, is that we send the kids to school and have very little idea of what's going on in the classroom.  This is ill advised in any school, but when your kids are under the direct instruction and influence of non Christians for the greatest part of their day, surely we want to be as involved as we can.  So if you argue that you want your kids to evangelise to others then what are you doing to help them, at home in your teaching of them, in the community in your modelling how to speak to peers about Jesus and in the school, helping them to tell their friends about Jesus?  I know that there are a few parents who do this, but they seem so few and far between as to make them almost invisible.

I know that if I send my daughters to the local public school that they will be well supported in that school community by my wife.  She models telling kids about Jesus to our daughters, she is already actively involved in the school telling kids about Jesus both in and out of school hours and she fosters relationships with peers so that they might consider how to know Jesus.  My eldest daughter sees all of this and is involved in it too. (My wife isn't perfect, she'd be the first to admit that, but it's undeniable that she works hard for Jesus)  Having said that, though, I also know that if I send my daughters to a public school that most of their friends will be non Christians, they will have mostly, if not all, non Christian teachers propagating morals, ethics and a world view which is totally opposed to our own.  Those teachers are a danger to my children as they want them to be more like them and I want them to be more like Jesus. They will hear only the most basic gospel presentations for 1 hour a week (if that).  They will be actively encouraged to consider all religions or no religion as possible truths.

If I send my daughters to my school then they will be able to pray in class and with their teachers.  They will hear from the Bible every day.  They will be encouraged to follow Jesus.  They will have some non Christian friends and mostly Christian friends.  Every one of their teachers will love and serve Jesus and will actively discourage them from seeking out other religions as possible truths.  On the down side, they may find it hard to make other meaningful friendships with kids in the community and might not have as many opportunities to present Jesus as saviour to people who don't trust him in their schooling years.  But they will be being prepared for ministry in school, being trained up to go out and serve.

I think that arguments for and against public and private education are often simplistic and unhelpful.  I would like to see Christians who are against Christian schooling really consider whether or not they are being fair and the same for Christians who are against public schooling (although I don't see that many of them, even working in a private school).

I'm interested to know other people's thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. I have different perspective. I am a non-parent and an Irlen Diagnostician seeing clients from a wide variety of schools. And a teacher who has worked in public, Catholic, Anglican (exclusive), Anglican (corporation) and Christian schools.

    I am a big supporter of home schooling done well and strongly against home schooling done poorly.

    I worked in a public selective school for 7 years and loved it and saw Christian students and teachers having an impact. The quality of education was excellent. It wasn't the right environment for all the students however it was great for most of them.

    I worked in Independent Anglican girls school for 3 years and also loved it (but the workload was HUGE). The standard of education was amazing. I think single-sex works great for girls. The chaplains had an enormous impact. Chapel was inspiring, really inspiring. Best preaching I have heard anywhere, it had a life-changing impact on me personally.

    Systemic Anglican - only there for 1 year, lots of negatives educationally and christianly.

    Local public high schools (casual work for a few months)- mixed, some really scarey and anti-christian others pretty good.

    Catholic - I had a really good 9 months there, I was encouraged as a teacher and to some extent as a Christian. Really weird mix of fundamental beliefs. Lots of positives educationally.

    Christian (same school as Graham) - 7th year. Lots of positives educationally and christianly. Have learned how to be a 'real' christian teacher and supported and equipped in that task. Very aware of how spiritually safe and blessed it is.

    When I am dealing with clients I am constantly being confronted with how poorly many schools are handling students with learning difficultlies. And how inflexible teachers are to accomodate these students and how poorly they use the technology at their disposable that can be used well to greatly help these students.

    If I had a little girl (or boy) I would homeschool if possible and if it worked for us (although I doubt that it would and I would probably want to work). So the most likely option would be going to the Christian School. If I lived near one I would consider single-sex for high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's ridiculous to send your kids to school so that they can evangelise. I agree, it's a sheep to wolves situation.

    That being said, I'm against Christian schools. My kids may go to one, because they exist, and because for their sake it turns out to be best. However, I don't think they should exist. It annoys me that, as you say, if you go to a public school, it's extremely unlikely you'll get a single Christian teacher. Why? They're all in the Christian schools. What an embarrassment.

    The fact that people don't actually evangelise is not an excuse for a bad system. You should evangelise, and your colleagues are the first people you should evangelise to. You spend 8 hours a day with them, they know you professionally and so you have a chance to earn their respect and even admiration.

    I'm so disappointed that my father-in-law doesn't know a single Christian, yet it feels like every second Christian uni student is doing education. Why should he respect Christians? He doesn't know any in a professional capacity.

    This really upsets me.

    I know Christian teachers in Christian schools can evangelise the kids. But they can do that in public schools too. Maybe not so explicitly though.

    If Christian schools didn't exist, every kid in Australia would have at least a few Christian teachers throughout their schooling. If they were Christians living as they ought, every single person in Australia would have memories of Christian people in their lives who were different to everyone else.

    But instead the exact opposite is now the case. Unless you're wealthy or already Christian, you won't know a single one, especially if you're a public school teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree that Christian schools shouldn't exist. I think that only Christian schools shoud exist.

      I wish that Christian schools were free to attend. I think that every person should be able to be taught by Christians.

      I don't really see why Christians should be ok with having the rules of a secular government being thrust upon them when it comes to education.

      Kate runs a playgroup in Culburra. THere's already a playgroup in Culburra, though, that she could just go to and be a part of. She might get to talk to a few parents about Jesus from time to time. The people who run the paygroup aren't Christian and the program they offer is fun, I'm sure, but it's of no substance.
      Instead Kate started a new playgroup. About 2 thirds of the families aren's Christian. Every week they sing songs about Jesus and hear from the Bible. They pray before they eat and the parents, through Kate's presentations to the kids, are challenged to think about hristianity each week. Do you really suppose that it's better for Kate to go to the other playgroup and help there as a leader rather than starting a Christian playgroup?

      The same is true of schools. Why should we submit to the anti-Christian curriculum offered up by the Board of Studies when we are allowed to have our own schools in which we can really challenge kids and families to know and love Jesus. Every year at our school kids and parents come to know Jesus because of what we do.

      I think tat Christians should work in public schools as well, but that there are schools which seek to raise kids to know and love Jesus is no embarrassment.

      As for your father in law, I bet that there were CHistian teachers at his High School. Traditionally it's pretty difficult for Christian teachers to get jobs in public high schools because the heads of Science departments tend to think that they are all soft on science and might teach the kids creation or something. Did your father in law get to know people in other faculties, or is he like most science teachers and complain about the arty farty and airy fairy Humanities, Arts and English/History teachers?

      By your logic here very few Christian organisations should exist. Aid organisations should just work with Oxfam so that they can evangelise to the other aid workers and maybe get a chance to quietly evangelise on the side, rather than organisations like Compassion that seek to equip Christian churches to mobilise within their communities to bring the Word of God and material aid to the poor in their communities.

      I think that whilstever we have a government that seeks to oppress Christians from teaching Christ to their students there is a need for Christian schools that are not suppressed in this way.

      I respectfully disagree.

      Delete
    2. Well you've touched on many issues.

      No, I think Christian playgroups are wonderful things. Playgroup is free, parents will choose them based on how welcoming, caring, engaging etc they are, and so a Christian run pg has the potential to be wondefully evangelistic and wonderfully run.

      My father in law has no problem with the arts, has several friends in the arts (i believe his best mate in teaching for many years was a history teacher), and perhaps there are one or two Christians at his school that he never got to know. Certainly they were a minority compared to the relative number of Christian teachers.

      Aid organisations reach out to whomever they choose, and so are in a similar category to playgroups. This is a different thing. The point of an aid organisation is to do the kind of work you choose toward ppl in need. This should not, as you say, be dictated by non-christians. It doesnt apply to my particular argument.

      It does apply to yours though. You say Christian schools get to manipulate the curriculum for the better. Fair enough. There should be Christians at the policy and curriculum level. I dont beileve Christians should abandon the public system altogether, but youd know better than me, if its too far gone, too godless so to speak, then perhaps Christian schools are the answer. If this is the argument, and the case, then I would have to agree. However i dont know that it is the case. Also with respect to this particular problem, i dont know that holing ourselves up in Christian schools is a lasting solution.

      So aside from the possibility of policy and curricula being so anti-God that ine cannot be a oart of the system at all, I disagree with your arguments.

      I agree, All schools should be Christian, because everyone should be Christian. But theyre not. So Christians have to be in governments, hospitals, train stations, schools, big business, etc. You say the curriculum is anti-God, it's not going to change if all the Christian teachers are at Christian schools. If that's the last resort, then fine. But I hope it's not gone that far.

      Delete
    3. I have to say that I'm surprised by how vehemently opposed to Christian education you are.

      Do you really suppose that in my life I have shut myself off from non-Christians and am in no way effective, because that seems to be what you are implying. I haven't holed myself up. I'm not part of an all Christian community in which non-Christians aren't welcome. Yet that seems to be what you are implying.

      As far as I can tell about half of the kids I teach don't have any real Christian faith. This isn't to be scoffed at. There are loads of kids in Christian schools who don't know Jesus and are being encouraged to follow him every day.

      I didn't say we shouldn't have Christians in state schools, nor have I said that I wouldn't ever work in a state school. But to tell a group of Christians who get together to tell people about Jesus together that what they're doing is an embarrassment is harsh to say the least.

      As for the cost thing, my school and many others have quite a few kids whose parents genuinely can't afford to pay for a Christian education and they're not turned away.

      I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers that there are so many thousands of Christians working in Christian schools and only a handful of seriously faithful people working in state schools. As far as I can make out there are about 120 (probably less) seriously Christian protestant schools in NSW. There are other independent and catholic schools, but private doesn't equal Christian in education, you know. This is compared to 2245 public schools. I know of lots of Anglican schools who employ non-Christians so I would be surprised, if you took the Christians out of Christian schools, if you could get one extra Christian teacher in each school. You definitely couldn't get two.

      I don't think all schools should be Christian because everyone should be Christian. I think all schools should be Christian because I think that education should be a higher priority for Christians and there should be more Christian teachers to go around.

      Teachers in public schools are not allowed to try to convince their students to turn to a particular religion. It's seen as an abuse of a power relationship. Evangelism is trying to convince people to turn to Christ. Teachers in public schools are not allowed to evangelise. Some do at the risk of their jobs. Most don't, and not terribly unreasonably so.

      Also, I'm not sure why colleagues have to be the first people we evangelise to. This is why I presumed you were against any Christian organisation. I don't spend 8 hours a day with any of my coleagues. I spend most time, by far, with my students. I think that it's very appropriate for teachers to see the kids they do see all day as the 'first' people, as you say, they should evangelise to.

      I just don't understand how you can say that Christians working together with a shared goal to tell kids about Jesus is an embarrassment. And by embarrassment you imply unfaithful, as surely faithfulness to Christ isn't cause for embarrassment.

      I know of lots of families who know and serve Jesus because of my school being all about proclaiming Jesus' name to kids and families and having the freedom to lead and act in ways that we wouldn't be able to if we were a state school.

      I'm not against state schools. I love that Christians work in them. I don't think that the work of Christian schools is an embarrassment to Jesus, the church or the kingdom.

      Delete
    4. Sorry for the delayed reply Graham.

      You misunderstand me. I have tremendous respect and admiration for you and the way you choose to live your life.

      I'm not even convinced of where i stand on this issue. I just know the things about it that bother me. I appreciate what you're saying though, and will continue to think about where I should stand.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, intense argument lads!!!

    ReplyDelete