Saturday, June 12, 2010

Differentiability

This is going to be a tad high faluting depending on your background, and for that I apologise. I think this issue is pretty important though.

The big bang:

I know a lot of people don't think the big bang happened, but let me tell you now, it did : )

Now that we've established that. I recently saw an interview with an extremely eminent philosopher. I don't know if he is a Christian or not. But he was saying that a creator causing the big bang is a more 'elegant' origin of the universe than the multi-verse theory.

Quickly, here is my version of multiverse:

The vacuum of space has 'zero' energy (as I'm sure you're aware). So you would imagine that the vacuum doesn't do anything. But this is not true. Actually, the vacuum has an average energy of 'zero'. On a very tiny scale it actually fluctuates. This is in some ways what quantum mechanics is all about - fluctuations, uncertainty. So it fluctuates. So here or there the energy might be positive for a fraction of a second, and somewhere else it might be negative for a fraction of a second. But on average it's zero.

But if you have a big enough box, somewhere or other, sooner or later, you'll get a really big fluctuation. It's inevitable. And eventually, one of these fluctuations will be so huge, that the energy will spontaneously change to matter (think Einstein, E = mc^2. E is energy and m is matter. So energy and matter are the same thing).

So we have a massive fluctuation that turns into matter - we have a big bang.

But of course, it's unlikely that a universe as big as ours would be the only fluctuation. And so there are many universes of various sizes, and ours is the one we live in. Thus there are multi-verses.

Ok, back to the eminent philosopher. He argues that the creator originated big-bang is more elegant than multiverse. I've heard at least one preacher quote this as well - an extremely good preacher who I have immense respect for. But I think this is wrong. Firstly elegance is difficult to define. Secondly I don't feel like it's very satisafactory. And thirdly, multiverse fits my idea of elegance much more precisely.

Think about it. The key ingredients in big bang are space, the laws of physics, and an anomalous BANG. The key ingredients of multiverse are just space and physics. No anomalies needed. It's self consistent. I find that to be more elegant.

But then where is the need for God? Well here's the main point of my post:

God created a differentiable manifold.

Not sure what a manifold is? It's nothing. Literally. It's a mathematical construct. But it's still there - here there and everywhere in fact. And it doesn't need to be there.

God made the world continuous. He made at least three dimensions - up, forwards and left (and there's actually at least one more). He made time. This thing we call space is ridiculously clever, and by no means a necessary property of existence.

So whatever you believe in: Creation Science (please don't), or Big Bang, or Multiverse, or whatever. If anyone takes issue with your theism, instead of arguing that point, I feel like you might as well just go back one step. Go even more fundamental. Who created dimensionality? Who created continuity of space-time (differentiability)? Why is there up, down, left, and at least one more. Why does time go forwards and not backwards? There are fundamental properties that determine the nature of our existence which are by no means innate to existence.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear - i wonder if i will ever get this. I think your brain is too big for me, but I will have a go anyway - God bless!

    ReplyDelete