Sunday, June 6, 2010

How to Have the Attitude of Christ - Fear God

One of the longest chunks of scripture I know by heart (although I assume it's not word-for-word in any particular translation) is this embarrassingly short bit from somewhere in Philippians 2:

Therefore brothers, as you have always obeyed, not only in my presence but also in my absence, continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works through you to will and to act according to his [good?] purposes.

I know it not because it was a memory verse from my childhood, but because it's one of those key passages you look up when you're thinking about what it means to fear God, and so over time it's kind of stuck.

Anyone who is churched in even a vaguely similar context as me will know a much longer song version of the preceding chunk, which also happens to be the "Since..." bit that goes with the therefore above (ie. Since this, Therefore that).

The chunk goes something like this: You should have the same attitude as Christ, who although he has some claim to God-ness, became a servant (to God - not people) by becoming a man, and was obedient even to the point of death. And because of this God exalted him and made his name great.

Therefore brothers...

I've heard a couple of sermons on this passage, and never has it been treated adequately. The problem, I think, is that we baulk at the phrase fear and trembling and end up make excuses for the passage. I am convinced there's only one reasonable reading which is dictated by mere logic. Here it is in short:

Because the Philippians are obedient types, the working out of their salvation is a fearful thing. God has purposes that he is working out in the world, and he is using his faithful elect to achieve them. In the case of Christ this meant torture and death. In the case of Christians, it means filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions: could be torture and death, could be something else. All we know is that if you are faithful you should expect suffering. We know that the exalting bit will happen, and sometimes we'll ask "How long, Oh Lord" until your vengeance on the wicked is exacted? But for now the expectation is that, like Christ, we will be fearful and trembling, at what God has in store for us before that happens.

I don't care how many times that word fear is used in the New Testament (four I believe) and how it is used in any other context. It's irrelevant. And I don't care what our existing theology of fear is. It's irrelevant as well is it not? The context and logic of the passage takes precedence, and the passage needs to change the way we think, not be manipulated to confirm our pre-existing notions. No?

I'm terrified that my reading of this passage is accurate, because I'm not terrified enough of God's plans, which makes me wonder whether I'm seeing God right, and whether he's treating me as an obedient son, or merely a cry-baby who still needs milk and cookies, not meat.

I can't emphasise enough how unpopular this reading seems to be, and how necessary it is from basic comprehension of the entire chunk.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that I agree that the passage is about suffering. I think that the flow of the passage is that our attitude should be the same as that of Christ, which is one of obedience and submission. Even submission to death on a cross. Therefoe, since your attitude should be like his, obey. I think that the 'work out your salvation with fear and trembling' is fear of God and what we deserve from Him, not fear of the world.
    I'm not sure that the idea of suffering is necessary for the reading, although I agree that it is an inevitable byproduct of the faithful Christian life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I agree with Graham.
    Sorry Tony I'm not very good at thinking things through and putting it on paper, so you probably won't hear from me much here. However I will be reading and thinking... I think this a great idea of yours and I'm really enjoying reading your thoughts on stuff. I really miss sharpening my mind with you and ally a lot!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't realise it was there until just now. I don't understand how it can be fear of God and what we deserve from him. Paul says that because the Philippians are particularly obedient they should be fearful, not because they're particularly sinful. Further he says "Therefore... work out your salvation with fear and trembling", and the only fearful thing from the passage before was God's sending suffering Jesus' way in the form of death on the cross. That's the only fearful thing that could come out of the previous chunk - isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Liz - we miss you too and all the things you think about, and the way you faithfully go to the Bible for the answer... Please do comment though

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know...
    I find it hard to believe that the application we take from 2:5-11 is that we should be afraid of what the world will do to us. These verses are about the majesty and magnificence of Christ and how he is a perfect example of what we should be in this world. We, then, are humbled by his very example, yet he makes us to be as stars, shining brightly as we hold out the word of truth.

    I find it difficult to believe that Paul is urging us to fear what the world can do to us to the point of trembling. I don't think that it fits with the magnificence of Christ described in the following verses, particularly the every knee bowing. It also doesn't fit with what Paul says elsewhere where we are urged not to fear the world.

    Rather I think that as we see who we are and compare it to who Christ is we have fear. Not because we think we will not be included in the covenant, but because we fear our heavenly father who we know loves us and treats us with compassion, despite the fact that we are unworthy. We are afraid to let him down, we are afraid not to live up to the example of Christ because we know we are not worthy even to serve him.

    So I think that at the moment I disagree, but am happy to be corrected.

    ReplyDelete