Friday, June 25, 2010

Generosity and Thoughtfulness

(No, this isn't Graham's second post on works, this is Tony writing one in the middle)

I'm in France right now, in the area of Burgundy. We're staying in a little stone cottage in the town of Champagny Sous Uxelles which has a population of 60. This is the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen and I've been trying to figure out a way to move here. Since I cannot and will not be a farmer, I've decided I could be an editor for a physics journal - with some journals they're allowed to work remotely - or a novelist - not too likely I'm afraid.

Anyway, we are living in the cottage 50m from 'the big house' - think, To the Manor Born, but not nearly so big - where the couple who own this place reside on weekends and for longer periods in summer. They are delightful people who have taken us wine tasting, given us two cooking lessons, and right now have taken the others to the markets.

On Wednesday we went to Paris. We took the fast train at 8am and returned home at 10pm. It was a horrifically long day, especially since we'd pushed Rose so far. Good, but horrific.

When we returned, Christine (one of the couple) had left dinner on our outside table. There was a beautiful red wine, some Camembert (which in France is overflowing with flavour), some delicious vegies, and crepes with three small jars of (homemade?) jams. All this together with a note saying words to the effect of "you must be hungry".

It was a truly wonderful act of Generosity and Thoughtfulness.

My in-laws were gob-smacked. They couldn't believe it. It was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for them, they said.

I was not particularly blown away though. It was a really nice thing to do, sure. But it wasn't ground-breaking. I don't want to take away from her generosity by any means, it's just that, people have done things like this for us before. Many times. There was an apparent need (we'd been on a long trip), and so someone who we have very little connection to, did something generous and thoughtful for us.

This made me realise some of the ways that God's people really are transformed by the spirit through community. In Wollongong there were, as I said, many occasions when someone would leave a meal, or a meal voucher, or a travel voucher, or something else thoughtful and out of the blue on our doorstep and we'd come home to find it there.

And it turns out that in the real world of nice, but un-transformed people, this is a pretty rare thing.

The first thing I thought when I saw it there was "I wonder if these guys are Christians?" I don't think they are - and in France it's very unlikely that they are - but it's such a tidy explanation. This little thought process made me realise how little I expect from the rest of the world. Isn't that sad too?

Anyway, just saying.

7 comments:

  1. God uses the untransformed! No doubt! We don't have to dig too deep in the Bible to see that.
    Hospitality is alive and well in rural France!

    The French do really know how to do food! I want to move there too!

    Seriously craving crepes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, oh man the food is good. We had a meal with these lovely folks again today. Ratatouille, Brie, Gorgonzola, goat (chev?) cheeses, berries, cream, delightful aperitifs... far out. Yet they're all so slim, I don't understand it.

    Anyway, this is all beside the point. Yes, for sure, God certainly does, in all sorts of ways. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach Food Tech (even though I'm a trained Science teacher), this is what happens when one boasts/jokes in a job interview about having 'the gift of baking. Anyway I've decided to embrace it and enjoy it! It is certainly not making me slim!

    I'm enjoying reading yours and Grahams blogs. It is encouraging me to get back into the Word, I've been pretty slack lately. Lots of praying (and I do think that is where the action is!) but not much reading.

    So thanks Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too noticed the difference, we did seem a little underwhelmed. The gesture certainly reminded me of many acts of kindness bestowed on us by friends in Wollongong. But maybe that was the difference? The surprising thing here was that these two weren't our friends, and the most they had to gain from us was a positive review on tripadvisor (which they were guaranteed by then, that's for sure). Maybe we were overly underwhelmed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hah, I did think of that one too, and wonder. I would like to think that people we know would be that nice to strangers, but perhaps they wouldn't. I don't know. Certainly that is why I mentioned the newbies at church being invited to dinner quite quickly (or the kindness I was shown in Leipzig), because at that point they are still strangers.

    But no, I agree entirely, we were treated with uncommon kindness and thoughtfulness and generosity in any circles, to these two's credit. And old cynical me is racking my brains to figure out why because it can't possibly be pure niceness! Hahah, oh dear.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. also, you may have overlooked that we are in the appropriate continent to just be whelmed

    ReplyDelete