Friday, July 2, 2010

God, Family, Church

In this month's the Briefing, Simon Flinders has written a little article called 'The pastor and the evangelical priority list'. His basic argument is that the sayings like "a pastor's first congregation should be his family" are, in his opinion, incorrect. He is humble and gentle, and it is ably written. But I think his logic is flawed, and his argument ultimately wrong.

Firstly, a particularly questionable quote:
Is it really practical for a pastor of a congregation of God's people to place consistently the needs of his family above the needs of his church? [He answers no].  
Notice any problems with this Q&A? If you can't provide the needs of your family because of other commitments, then there are some serious problems here. But I don't think he means needs. He can't. I mean, he's not going to withhold food from his family for the sake of his church. I think he means desires, or even ideals, but not needs - please God that he doesn't mean needs. I feel for his family if he does.

Now he makes the good(-sounding) point, that the Bible doesn't provide straight-forward, easy answers to questions like this. That appeals to people, we like ambiguity, and we like to think things are more complex rather than less. But I don't see any genuine, satisfying justification for this in his argument, but rather he says he himself finds it tricky to navigate this issue.

Further, he argues that the Bible emphasises both as priorities (church and family), but never explicitly emphasises the needs of one over the needs of the other. I'll return to this in a second, but first a little aside.

He has a comparatively lengthy section on particular scenarios, including this one: The pastor comes home, the baby needs feeding, the kids need bathing, and then the phone rings. Someone in the parish is very ill and in hospital. What does the pastor do?

Now this is tricky, but it's irrelevant. Flinders argues that if he stays home he is prioritising his family, and if he goes he is prioritising his parish. Well, not really. Not wholistically.

Firstly there are other issues. Leaving your wife at home to do the bathing and feeding can be a godliness issue for her. As a couple you have decided it's ok to go on this occasion because that is the role you guys have chosen.

Secondly, this isn't about needs, it's about desires, and ideals. Perhaps your wife (and you) would desire to be at home, but this is maybe not the wisest choice. Perhaps it is ideal that you'd be at home rather than go out that night, and perhaps not. Your family life is tied to your godliness and your servant-heartedness, and your church life is too. So your family life and your church commitments are linked. Doing one option over another does not reveal your priorities in such a straight-forward way. This is a major problem with the article.

Ok, back to the Bible:

The relationship between husband and wife is a covenantal one. You made a solemn oath on your wedding day to treat your wife in particular as Christ has treated you, in a special, one-to-one way that demands your commitment to her physical and spiritual needs, and particularly you promise to present her pure and blameless on the last day, in so much as it is up to you.

A pastor has made no such covenant with their 'flock'. They are exhorted to protect them from ferocious wolves, and to treat them as family in a way, but the covenant (if there is one at all) in this case is nowhere near so binding as that. Similarly with the church. Flinders argues that the Bible never emphasises your blood-family over your church family. Yes it does! Your blood family is talked about often. Your church family is too, but not in the same way. Treat one another with purity, be concerned with one another's godliness, but with your family the rules are much more strict, and the relationships are expected to be much more intimate, of course.

Finally, I would think one can argue from the trinity of the necessarily stronger covenant between God and Jesus than God and us, and it has to do with different uses of the word family. But that would take a lot of words and people would disagree with me, so maybe not for today.

Flinders makes some excellent points, but I think his arguments are fatally flawed. I agree that it must be hard for a pastor to juggle his roles. I agree that it must be hard for missionaries to send their kids to boarding school (and would argue that if they are 'conflicted' as he says, then perhaps they shouldn't - but this is another matter again). But I cannot agree that the relationship between a pastor and his church is biblically on the same level as a man and his wife, and kids. The Bible never gives you such an out with your family.

As a final thought, consider this: If your wife became terminally ill and required full time care, would there be any question as to you leaving your job to care for her? A pastor is no different. Even if that church would fall apart, there would be no question.

Woops - and one more final thought! - The covenant you make with your wife is a binding one. A pastor may only be a pastor if, within the appropriate fulfillment of his promises to his wife, he has the time and energy to fulfil more roles to his congregation. It is the same for any new role. I cannot do ministry at my church at the expense of my relationship with my wife, because on my wedding day I made promises to my wife, and I must keep them. Just because I'm a physicist I don't think the rules are different. A pastor cannot neglect his wife for the benefit of his church, and so there's only one more option - if need be, he must neglect his ministry for the benefit of his wife.

I will write a letter to the Briefing. I'll try to be kind and thoughtful, which is not my strong-point when writing.

Does anyone have any comments that might help me think about this - or themselves?
Cheerios

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe that this was published in the Briefing.

    I think that this is the major issue facing us today. That is, men being men of Christ. I hate the idea that the man who gives up everything for his community, including his family, is noble. It's perverted. The very best family men we will never know because they give up everything else for the good of their families. Especially their wives.

    I have great difficulty swallowing the notion that men who spend countless hours in their jobs/other activities and not with their wives and children are somehow giving up their family for a worthy cause. I see this all the time in my job.

    Being a teacher is awesome because I can turn up at 8 and leave between 3 and 4 and do the rest of my work when it is convenient. This means that in my stage of life now I can leave early almost every day and come home to help out Kate and spend time with Emma. Then when Emma is in bed I can do more work.

    There are others at my school with kids the same age who think poorly of me for leaving early each day, because I am not spending as much time as them working. And indeed I am not. I, however, think that they are neglecting their kids. I know that one man in our school rarely sees his children from Monday to Friday. This is his choice. He is generally looked upon as hard working and a good example to others.

    I imagine myself on my death bed looking back on my life and I can not think of a possible situation where I would think to myself "I wish I had stayed back at work more often." But I can imagine thinking "I wish I had spent more time enjoying my wife and little girl." We all acknowledge this, but don't live by it.

    This comment has gotten too long and I have more I want to say. Perhaps I'll write a post about what I think.

    Thanks for your thoughts Tony, I agree with you entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you agree Graham, thanks for the comment.

    You should read the article because I sincerely hope I haven't misrepresented it. Though I don't think I have, of course.

    As I was reading it, I got through page one and thought 'oh man I need to say something about this..., but hang on Tony, give him time to present his whole case, you may be jumping the gun', but that change never happened.

    I agree whole-heartedly about work. It's a really common thing. My job is good for the same reasons, though I need to be more disciplined about catching up the hours. Others I know who work for banks or as lawyers don't have that luxury, and basically are required to neglect their families if they're to be faithful to their jobs.

    Tough stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an honour and a healing thing for me to be surrounded (literally) in my work place by men who obviously put their wives and children first. I see them as visual aids that God has put in my life because He knows that I would have to see this reality for years to make up for the years I didn't see it in my own family and sadly in the church.

    It is ludicrous to me that men who neglect their families run churches and preach about Godliness. Also I think there are lots of differences between men and women. One difference being the way they tend to see and feel about sin. I can think of only one preacher whose exposition of sin challenged me in a personal way, actually it was more like being punched in the head! I believe his insights into sin in women and girls must have stemmed from a really devoted marriage and fathering of daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that if the first quote here about the needs of a family had not been such a problem for you then you might have looked at the rest of the article with more gentle eyes Tony.

    If, indeed he had used the word "ideals" or "desires" then the rest of the article takes on a different tone altogether. This would not remove any of the complexity of the issue. The example given of the family at home and the family of the hospitalised person desiring his attention would have been just as complex, but perhaps if the word "desire" was used there too, then the pastor would have to weigh up which is more important at that particular time. I do however, agree with him that it is a silly notion to think about simple priorities and formulas for successful action. Indeed it is dumb for anyone to think like that. Surely the primary consideration after his relationship with God is one of fulfilment. Fulfilling his dual role as Husband and pastor (as well as any other roles he has) must be his priority, not placing one set of "needs" above another set. I suspect that this is just what he is trying to do, and i confess that is what I would have thought, but for your analytical mind picking up this fatal flaw in his argument.

    If I am right in my assessment then the article is not well written for it does not address the issue that it presents in the beginning - "the pastor's first congregation should be his family" and instead addresses the complex issues of ideals and desires in relationships at home and in the church family, and his leadership in those areas. These issues are peculiar to all of the church family to a more or lesser degree. The thing that makes the minister stand out is that he needs to model holiness and godly living before all of us who are in his congregation and he needs to do it both in his family relationships and in his corporate life, i.e. the life of the church. This is where the word "need" can be used - for I need my pastor to live a godly and holy life that is steeped in God's word and I need for his love for God and his family to overflow to his brothers and sisters in the church - namely me and all of the rest of us.

    As you rightly point out the love that he has for his wife (and family) is different to the love he has for the people of the church. There is nothing in the world like the commitment and love between a husband and wife who have been joined together by God for His purposes, but then there is nothing in the world that compares to the love shared between members of the body of Christ. They both need to be understood and nurtured so that love grows, but they can never be confused with one another, and i dont think that prioritising has anything to do with it - but fulfilment does. The way forward for a pastor and all of us in the church is to love God with all our heart stay close to the word and love all others appropriately and well and serve one another in the family of God. As a pastor - take the leadership role as an under-shepherd and seek to train others to fulfil those roles and share the load - ministry is a shared experience with structure and form that is shaped by the word of God and the love that flows from the throne of grace.

    ReplyDelete