Friday, July 2, 2010

Splice

Spoiler Alert! I will ruin the plot of a film in this, so don't read it if you are intending to watch Splice.

Ok, tonight I watched Splice. I'm not sure if it's in Australian cinemas yet, maybe it's been out for some time.

Anyway, it plumbed the depths of iniquity. Not like Saw (I, II, III, IV, how many are there?) which was just a film about wallowing in the joys of torture and death, but in a more sophisticated way. There was extremely unethical cloning, the two main characters (the woman in particular, who was very well played by the girl from Go! who is not married to Tom Cruise) had extreme god complexes, bestiality (yes, the man (from the pianist) had sex with the half human - half animal girl they created) rape (yes, the woman did too when this beast turned into a man), and finally someone has come up with an act worse than abortion - the woman sold her unborn quarter-animal, three quarter-human to science.

These characters cared nothing for basic ethics toward living creatures, but then neither do some Christians I know, particularly those who grew up on farms.

It was really really interesting, and quite enjoyable.

I think the most terrifying science fiction possible, is stuff that is truly just around the corner. This was not Star Trek/Wars intergalactic travel which won't be possible in our lifetimes.The creature that these two made (if that's the right word) used technology which I would guess will be accessible in my lifetime.

Crazy stuff.

One thing that struck me, was the man's somewhat biblical perspective after he had sex with this animal/girl. The girl from Go! saw him, and when they talked about it, he blamed her ethics in making the girl. This was swallowed! His argument was "It all went wrong. We did the wrong thing from the beginning, and it got out of hand".

This had a remarkable Romans 1 feel to it, and was also pretty relate-able. It made me think of the Nazis (possibly because this guy was from the Pianist). It's that thing where one thing slips in your ethics, and then you find yourself on this slippery slope where suddenly you're killing Jews / having sex with animals / cheating on your wife / lying to your boss or whatever.

Further, the woman took it on board and that was it. She got over it extremely quickly. Before my very eyes the world has accepted sex-outside-of-committed-relationships as being far less worse than I think it is. I guess I'm getting old-fashioned at 27...

Even after knowing these things, I still recommend watching the film. I watched a preview for it and thought it would be horror or at least thriller. It was neither. It was just interesting, well told, well acted, well shot, and quite enjoyable, if not immoral. And it has two low-key sex scenes... and a rape scene... geez. Maybe you shouldn't watch it. Everything is... implied, not explicit, if that helps.

Ok, time to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment