Friday, July 23, 2010

Robots

I have tremendous respect for my bro. In many ways I endeavour to emulate him. He is godly, and thoughtful (thought-filled - you know what I mean: he thinks about stuff), and extremely patient.

One thing that I am incredibly proud of him for, is also something that I also feel very strongly about: The robotics club. Graham has lots of great reasons for starting this club, largely for the sake of gospel, and these are by far the most important reasons to do it, but let me tell you something I really love about it. Robotics requires programming, and programming requires logic. My best teacher in high school was Mr Sattler. He was the best, because he taught us geometry from an axiomatic point of view.  It went like this: 'Here are the axioms of geometry: a straight line has 180 degrees' etc etc. From these axioms, what can we prove?

It was incredible. Nobody appreciated it at the time, including me. But this education was invaluable.

At uni, when I did Practical Reasoning (essentially Philosophy 101) and got 96ish, it was because Satts had taught me logic. Based on these axioms, what can we deduce? That's all there is to logic, and nobody can do it these days. And I mean nobody.

So Graham is starting the Robotics Club. Not only does he teach programming, which is the only access a primary school student will get to logic in their entire education (as Mr Sattler got fed up with Maths and transferred to IA, and I'm absolutely certain that none of this year's graduating class are qualified to teach such things (is that too harsh?)), but he is providing a much needed role model for these students which I'm confident to say they probably lack at home and at school. I'm super super excited about this club. And I'm pleased to say that the local paper got in on it:


Looking good Grays!

The link to Christianity? We need to use logic when reading the Bible.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have great respect for Graham. I have seen one of his robots in action and it was certainly very impressive.

    But I wonder why he built a crocodile. I don't want a crazed lego monster coming to a purely logical decision to put me into a death roll. As I take my last breath before I go under the water for the last time I will hear it say, "nothing personal."

    Why doesn't he build robots that do useful stuff like making coffee or washing my car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the animal themed robots!

    ReplyDelete