Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Grass is Always Greener

Can you identify?:

When you live near the beach you never go, but when you move away you miss it

When you have an assignment to do on topic X you can't bring yourself to do it, but then when you're supposed to concentrate on Y, you eagerly study X.

There are millions of examples of this same thing. We seem to be wired this way. It happens to me over and over. I'm pretty sure it's sin and rebellion. Rebellion and discontent comes so naturally. Our most beloved past-time (?) is basically whatever it is we're not meant to be doing, or don't have access to.

It seems so innocuous though. The curious observation that one only appreciated the beach after they moved away from it, seems to me to be a reflection of deep-seated malcontentedness and rebellion. We're quite pleased with ourselves when we notice these things. But it's not on. We've got to stop thinking like this.

I've got to stop thinking like this anyway. The beach example is cutesy, but does adultery not branch from the same inner defect? And the way I succumb to marketing is embarrassing.

Anyway... Just a little observation.

3 comments:

  1. I love the beach, live about 20 minutes from it and go often!! Don't think I relate Tony. The peace that passes understanding is real! There is an answer to the sin and rebellion, a thorough complete and real answer, of course we have to lay our whole life down, every part of it, every day to receive it! Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't know, am I Tony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah, 20 minutes is a long way from the beach! Stuttgart is further I'll admit, but I was thinking of the times I lived 200m away and didn't use it enough, and then moved to a 5 min drive away and missed it terribly. It's thirty-something here today, and being about 1000km away from the sea I'd kill someone to be there.

    But point taken!

    No you're not, but it is good to be told nonetheless. And I agree with you entirely, laying down ones life is the key. I like your phrasing, it sort of emphasises my problem. It's that you have to lay down all of your life, every part of it. And it's the bits we don't think of (or won't think of, or are blind to, or whatever) that lead to dissatisfaction and rebellion. So I think your point fits in nicely with what I was trying to get at. The fairly banal observation that one misses the beach can perhaps reflect that one hasn't laid down their whole life.

    Thanks for the comment Jenny.

    ReplyDelete