Friday, July 9, 2010

Justice

Recently I was reading a book by Broughton Knox which is a collection of essays about different topics.  As I read the chapter on social justice, Knox was emphatic that as Christians we should not be driven by a desire for justice, but rather by compassion for those who we see in need around us.

I think that I partially agree, but with the reason behind his argument I disagree.

We certainly should not seek justice in everything, because as sinners in God's world, what is just is that we burn in hell with everyone.  This, however, is not what will happen as those of us who are God's elect will receve mercy and compassion despite our circumstances and behaviours. 

The problem comes when we apply the same reasoning to the world around us and our dealings with others.  Broughton Knox suggests that we should not seek justice, but that we should rather be driven by mercy and compassion because that is what has been shown to us.  I think that this is true in almost every situation when we are dealing with people.  But what about when we are dealing with institutions.

Right now every police officer in NSW has been equipped with a taser gun.  These guns allow police officers to deliver an incapacitating yet non lethal electric shock to aggressors.  From what I have heard and seen, these taser guns are largely used to deliver what I think is an inappropriate and too harsh form of policing.  In every place in the world that tasers have been introduced shootings by police have not dropped at all.  There are, however, a lot of instances where the tasers are used, either unnecessarily or in excess.  I think that these tasers are generally a bad idea and that police officers should not have them.  This is an issue of what I think is right and wrong.  I think that too much power in the hands of police is wrong.  I don't think, however, that it is wrong for me to fight against it.  I am driven by my sense of justice and fairness in this issue. 

I think that in this world it is important for us to seek what is right and fair for others.  I don't think that we should be driven solely by compassion and mercy, as that leads to good only for those weaker and less well off than us.  I think that we should seek justice and fairness for everyone in everything as we are part of the world in which we live and we should seek to make it a fair and just place for others to live. 

I think that Mr Knox would have agreed with htis as he used to petition and advise governments on their decisions, but sometimes I think that we are in danger of becoming too polarised in our viewpoints and use it as an excuse not to think through issues properly.

What do others think about pursuing justice and fairness?

2 comments:

  1. I think I missed the thrust of the point sorry. Did you explain what his underlying reason was that you disagreed with?

    If I've understood, you're suggesting that we should be compelled by a desire for justice as well as compassion. But BK argues for compassion alone.

    I don't understand the problem with pursuing justice. With regard to our salvation, what is just is that Christian's go to heaven. Jesus was both just and the compassionate justifier. Ultimately I think we're encouraged to desire the destruction of the wicked. Compassion comes first, so we want their repentance, but failing that we must want justice (Pet, Rev, Ps etc).

    The rule of compassion first biblical. But compassion alone does not.

    With regard to the tasers, perhaps you could frame it in compassion terms though. One could argue that criminals/trouble-makers/whatever could be detained without the use of such barbaric practices. So while it's just for the police to use any legal force they deem necessary (the sword is in their hands, so to speak), one could argue along the lines of compassion for not using tasers. Or not?

    Anyway, that's very interesting. For instance, Philip Jensen argues that prisons are a place for retribution. I suppose BK would argue for more of a correctional approach.

    What about this: Is it ok for Christians to argue for mercy when there are non-Christians who have been affected. It reminds me a little of the Jewish man you wrote about. What right had he to forgive on behalf of Jews? Not that that was being asked for, but the German soldier wanted to ease his conscience, and so it would have at least partially been the effect.

    Know what I mean?

    If someone hurts many people, what right have I to argue that the person should be shown mercy because I have been shown mercy. If the other hurt people have not been shown mercy, there's no such onus on them.

    Anyway, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the answer Micah 6:8? "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness (mercy/compassion) and to walk humbly with your God?" Justice is not optional, it is a requirement! I agree with BK that we should not be driven by a desire for Justice, I think that is clear from Scriptures. But that doesn't mean that Justice is dismissed or unimportant or not required from us. It is not either or it is both! We can be both concerned and attentive about Justice and filled with love and mercy.

    ReplyDelete